Ok, I think most of us agree that the highlight of our meal at Olive Garden was always the endless breadsticks & the Zuppa Toscana. Anyone else?! And if you haven’t had it, well here’s what it is! Italian Sausage, Potatoes, Kale (just because we its pretty) finished with a little cream, parmesan and bacon bits! I mean, wow it warms your belly in the best way!
Now here is where I tell you what you can do to make it your own because like always, its just a base recipe after all! Use the ingredients you love/make you feel good and enjoy!! First off, I think its highly annoying to remove Italian sausage from the casing so I always use breakfast sausage and just add my own Italian seasoning & red pepper flakes. You could also use chicken sausage, ground turkey or ground chicken and use the same spices!!
Lastly, you can replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes, squash or really any starchy veg you like but in my opinion you NEED to white potato! Kale, spinach or arugula will work as your greens and just add them in at the end so they stay night and bright! I used heavy cream but any type of milk or half and half will work! I hope you guys make this soon and enjoy every bite!
- Large Pot
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 lb sausage italian or regular
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz water
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- dash red pepper flakes
- Start by cooking your bacon in the bottom of your pan. Cook until nice and crispy and remove. Crumble and set aside.
- Add in 1 diced onion and saute until translucent about 5 minutes. Once onions are cooked add in 1 lb sausage. Break up into large chunks and cook until browned and cooked through. Season everything with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Toss in 2 cubed potatoes (skin on) along with chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover until potatoes are tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, cream and stir to wilt. Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan cheese and bacon bits!
Hope you love it!