If you have ever been to True Food Kitchen you may have tried the Ancient Grains Bowl! It is my favorite thing on the menu! So light and healthy but super filling and full of flavor! I was craving some roasted veggies and it made me think of this dish! So I put my spin on it and wow it turned out amazing! We all cleared out plates!
The bowl consists of roasted sweet potatoes, onions and broccoli, but of course you could add whatever veggies you like! Mushrooms would be great in this if you like those. Carrots, squash, the possibilities are endless. Really the only important thing is getting a nice caramelization on the vegetables and packing in the flavor!!
Brown rice was the base of my bowl but you could totally use quinoa, cauliflower rice or white rice! The pesto finishes the dish so nicely and gives it the freshest flavor! I used a store bought pesto that was a little too pureed for me. So look for a chunky pesto and it will make it even better! Finally, the chicken HAS to be marinated. You don’t have to do it long (30 minutes-overnight), but the reason this bowl is so delicious is because every element has FLAVOR! Top with your favorite greens, I used arugula but spring mix or spinach would also work great! I hope you give this one a try, and remember you can make your own spin on it!
Chicken and Roasted Veggie Pesto Bowl
- Sheet pan
- Saute Pan
- 2 cups Cooked brown rice make it yourself or use the microwave kind
- 2 Chicken breasts I like cutlets
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Teriyaki Marinade
- 1 Sweet Potato cubed
- 1 Onion large dice
- 1/2 cup Broccoli
- 1 cup Arugula
- 2 tbsp Pesto
- 1 tsp Cilantro optional
- Start by marinating your chicken. Add 1/2 cup teriyaki marinade to 2 chicken breasts and let marinate 30 minutes to overnight.
- Prep your veggies. Add cubed sweet potato, broccoli and onion to a sheet pan. Drizzle teriyaki marinade over the top and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and roast at 425 for 25 minutes. Make sure to turn the veggies every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Grill in a shallow pan with 1 tbsp olive oil for about 4-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness.
- Once the veggies are nice and tender and caramelized, and chicken is cooked through it is time to assemble the bowl.
- Add a cup on rice to a bowl, add in your roasted veggies, arugula, top with sliced chicken, a dollop of pesto and garnish with cilantro and a little cracked pepper!
Did you try this? Please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it!