Hi friends! Wow first blog post in 2021 and in what seems like forever! I’m actually too embarrassed to look at how long it been, but I’m back! Coming at you with a super comforting and cozy dish! I loveeee me a dish that makes you feel like home and warm and these days I think we all need something that feels like a warm hug from mom 🙂
To be honest, I had to do quite a bit of research before making this recipe because I hadn’t made these before. I mean meatballs are my love language so believe me I know who to do that but the accompaniments with this is what MAKES it! I’ve never tried the IKEA frozen type but I’m assuming mine are much better!
These are so incredibly easy and you can make them as healthy or as ‘not’ healthy as you’d like! I strive to be unhealthy hah so we went all out but swap the beef/pork for turkey/chicken and make a cauliflower mash instead of potatoes and there you go! Lightened up comfort food!!!
On that note, I need to try some cauliflower mash. I bet I’ll hate it and I know Trent will, but I wont know unless I try! What are yall’s thoughts? Good or nah? OK, well enough about that lets get cooking! Oh wait, one more thing! The best tip when cooking meatballs! Throw them in a muffin tin and bake them at 400 and they will get soo crispy on the outside without all the work!
So good TRUST!
Swedish Meatballs with Mashed Potatoes & Brown Gravy
- Muffin Tin
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
For the Gravy
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth could use veggie or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl add all ingredients in a bowl and lightly mix, just until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter (mine were a little large) and place in a greased muffin tin. Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked throughout. Flip halfway through cook time!
- Meanwhile, make the gravy and potatoes! I have linked my mashed potato recipe below!
- Start by melting butter in a large sauté pan. Add flour with heat on medium/low heat, and cook until it turns a light brown color. Once the roux is dark enough slowly whisk in beef broth! Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer! Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Once the gravy has gotten to a nice consistency. Add in sour cream and parsley. Add in meatballs and toss to coat! Serve over a bed of mashed potatoes or plain egg noodles, and enjoy!