Tomato Basil Soup
I’m pretty sure I haven’t met a soup I didn’t like, and this one, delicious!!! If you’re a tomato soup fan this one has it all! Tomatoes, of course, onion, garlic, a little spice, basil for some freshness & the secret ingredient a roasted red bell pepper! This gives it a little sweetness and totally takes it over the top!!
This healthy and delicious soup comes together in under 30 minutes and is perfection when accompanied with an elevated grilled cheese! I used thinly sliced apple, thick cut bacon, sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese! Toast in a pan with some butter on sourdough bread that is spread with a little Dijon mustard, and you’ll have the most delicious grilled cheese ever!!! DIP DIP DIP
Now, I think there are a couple of things that are KEY when it comes to tomato soup! One being the tomatoes, I always use San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes from Italy, 100% the best! 2nd, fresh basil the dried stuff just doesn’t cut it! 3, make sure you blend it up really well so its super smooth, and lastly, stir in a little cream and butter at the end for a velvet texture!! SO divine! I cant wait for you to try it!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 2 cans San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cream optional
- 2 tbsp butter
- Start by sautéing your onion in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in garlic and spices and cook another 2 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and crush a little with your spoon! Stir in chopped basil! Bring to boil & reduce to simmer!
- Meanwhile, (if you forgot to do this earlier) roast your pepper! You can place it under the broiler for about 2 minutes per side or directly over a flame until all sides are nice and charred. Let steam in a covered bowl for about 5 minutes. Peel and chop. Add to soup!
- Let soup simmer for about 20-30 minutes! Taste throughout! Add salt, pepper etc. if necessary! Once its got a great flavor lets blend it! You can use a hand blender and blend soup directly in the pot or pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth! Careful it is HOT!
- Once nice and smooth pour in cream, add butter and taste one more time!! Garnish with more basil and serve with a grilled cheese!! (my recipe is written above!)