Sausage, Apple & Pecan Stuffing
I have a confession! I actually have always really hated stuffing/dressing! I’m not sure I even tried it until a few years ago, and gosh I sure was wrong!! It is perfectly crispy on the top, nice and moist on the inside! Plus the sweet crisp apples, salty sausage, and crunchy pecans just push it over the top!!
Another confession? I had never made it before until this!! I was kind of intimated by it. I thought it would be really hard to do but in all honesty it is so incredibly easy!!! Just cook your veggies, toast your bread and mix it all together! Easy as that!
The best part is you can totally customize this to be perfect for you! Add chicken sausage instead of pork or take it out completely. But I promise it makes the dish 🙂 Add pear instead of apple, veggie stock instead of chicken stock! It really is so easy to adjust!! I know you and your family will absolutely love this!!
Sausage. Apple & Pecan Stuffing
- 5 cups white bread (I used a French loaf)
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 3-4 ribs celery
- 2-3 green apples (I used granny smith)
- 1 tbsp chopped, parsley
- 6 leaves sage
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- Start by cubing your bread into 1 inch cubes! Lay on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 7-10 minutes! Bread should be toasted on the outside but still soft in the middle. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a large skillet over med/high heat. Keep sausage in medium sized chunks so it doesn't disappear in the stuffing! Once brown, pour into a large mixing bowl!
- Add 2 tbsp butter into the skillet with the sausage drippings and turn to medium heat. Add in chopped onion, celery, apple and herbs. Cook for about 5 minutes or until everything is nice and tender!
- Add veggies & apples straight into the bowl with the sausage. Toss in bread and 1/2 of the pecans. Pour in 1 cup of chicken broth and mix! Add extra 1/2 cup if you want it a little more moist!
- Pour mixutre into a large casserole dish and top with extra pecans. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour! You want the top to be nice and crunchy and the inside to be nice and moist!
- Serve and top with lots of gravy!
click here to open recipe in Cooklist app!
Did you make this? Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it!