Just when we thought 2020 couldn’t get worse, Taco Bell said they were removing Mexican pizzas from the menu! Soo sad! But guess what, I am HERE to save the day!! And, I’ll just say it, its even BETTER than the original!!
That red sauce you see there!? Absolute flavor central! Its a delicious chipotle sauce I whipped up and now I’m considering jarring and selling it because OMG guys it’s gooood. Also, so incredibly easy and totally makes the whole dish!
Now, taco bell is obviously so so good, but mine is always a little soggy and a little tough to eat. This homemade version, crispy, cheesy, beefy, saucy and all the things! Absolutely perfect guys!! Run to your kitchen and make this because I know you’ll be just as obsessed as me!!
- 1/2 cup cooked taco meat
- 4 corn tortillas (or premade tostadas)
- 1/4 cup refried beans, (I just used canned)
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 3 chipotle chilies in adobo chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- dash cumin
- dash garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cheddar jack cheese
- diced tomatoes
- Start by heating oven to 350. Brush corn tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Place in oven and cook about 5 minutes per side. Or until almost crisp!
- Meanwhile, make the sauce! In a small sauce pot add in olive oil, onion, tomato paste, chilies. Cook down about 3 minutes until onions are cooked through. Add in water. Bring to boil and simmer another 3 minutes. Pour sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Start assembling pizzas! Place 1 tbsp refried beans on the bottom of 2 tostadas. Then add a layer of beef. Place back in oven for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Remove from oven and top with second tostada. Add a layer of sauce and a good amount of cheese! Add back into the oven and broil until cheese is melted!
- Garnish with more sauce, sour cream and cilantro!!
Did you make this?! Please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it!