I love a good broccoli cheddar soup and this one does not disappoint!! I have a feeling we have a few more cold days around here and I will be making this one more time before spring!! Definitely give this one a try! Under 20 minutes and so incredibly creamy!!
– 3 cups broccoli, blanched and chopped.
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 carrots, shredded
– 2 tbsp flour
– 3 cups milk
– 1 cup blanching water or chicken broth
– 2 cups cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup Parmesan
– 1/2 cup cream
– 1 tbsp salt
– 1/2 tbsp pepper
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tsp mustard powder
1. Start by blanching your broccoli. Boil a pot of water and salt. Fill up a large bowl with ice water. Boil the broccoli for 30-45 seconds. Immediately transfer to ice water. Drain and pat dry.
2. In a large heavy bottom pot, melt butter and saute onion and carrot for 3-5 minutes. Add in spices and cook for another 30 seconds.
3. Add in flour and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Whisk in milk and water. Salt and pepper and bring to a low simmer, about 5 minutes.
5. Add in cheese and let melt slowly, don’t let heat get too high and constantly stir! Adjust seasoning if necessary.
6. Chop broccoli into bite size pieces and toss into pot.
7. Let cook at a simmer, med/low heat, for 20-30 minutes, or until desired thickness.
8. Garnish with more cheese and serve!