Chicken Tortilla Soup
This weather is perfect for this soup! Also, it’s January so if you’re trying to be healthy this is the perfect comfort dish!!! I love a good soup and this one is so hearty!! I used the instant pot to make it but of course you could just do the exact method in a regular pot or slow cooker and it would turn out just the same!!! I also used fire roasted tomatoes and corn and it really made it extra flavorful!!! I hope you enjoy this one!!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsps masa, mixed with 1/2 cup of hot broth
- Cut corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Drizzle with olive oil, cumin, salt, & chili powder.
- Broil for about 5-8 minutes tossing throughout.
- Let cool and they will crisp up!
- In an instant pot throw in two chicken breasts and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Throw in the rest of the spices and coat chicken. Add in tomatoes, beans, chilies, chicken broth and water.
- Close lid of pressure cooker and cook on “normal pressure” for 30 minutes. Once complete manually release pressure.
- Turn instant pot to saute function. Add in corn and remove chicken and shred.
- Mix masa with 1/2 cup of hot broth and mix until dissolved. Pour masa mixture and chicken back in. Let saute for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, cheese, tortilla strips and cilantro! ENJOY
Makes about 4-6 servings
** Alternative cooking tips.
- If you are using a slow cooker, use the exact same method. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- If you are using a regular pot. Cook & shred chicken before adding the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce for 30 minutes before adding corn and masa mixture!