French Onion Soup
Ok, I’m pretty sure the french do it best!! Ingredients are minimal and flavors are maximal!! If you are a fan of this soup, or even if you’re not you’ve GOT to try this!!! I’m not kidding when I say that it is the best I’ve had in a while!! Also, just knowing exactly whats going into it always makes it better!! Here is what I did!
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp flour
- 32 oz beef broth
- French bread, crouton
- shredded Gruyere
- 6 slices of Gouda
1. Start by melting butter in a large stock pot. Throw in sliced onions, garlic and thyme and cook on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes until nice and brown.
2. Remove the thyme and add in 1 cup of wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Let wine boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Let cook out completely, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in flour and let cook out for 2 minutes.
4. Add in beef broth and bring to boil and reduce to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
5. Ladle soup into bowls, top with crouton, and both types of cheese. Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese in melted. ENJOY!!
Makes 4 servings