Not going to lie, this completely changed the way I feel about squash casserole! I wasn’t a huge fan, I don’t like large slices of squash and that’s probably why I love this!! The squash is mashed with all the other lovely ingredients and it is heavenly!! If you need to bring anything to Thanksgiving this year let it be this!!! Everyone will be begging for the recipe!!
– 2 lbs yellow squash
– 1 cup chopped onion
– 2 tbsp bacon grease
– 4 slices of bacon
– 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
– 2 oz jarred pimientos, drained
– 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers
– 2 eggs, beaten
– salt and pepper
1. Cut squash into slices, add to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, mash and drain well!! You want very little liquid!
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon and set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp of bacon grease and saute onion on med heat until translucent.
3. In a large bowl combine, squash, cheese, 1 sleeve of crushed crackers, 2 eggs, chopped bacon, pimientos and onion! Mix well and season with quite a bit of salt and black pepper!
*** If you are cooking ahead of time***
– Bake 350 for 40 minutes. Let cool, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to eat. When you are ready to eat. Top it with 1/2 sleeve of crushed crackers. Pop it in the oven at 375 for about 10 minutes or until warm throughout and crackers are nice and brown.
*** If you are eating right away***
– Top with an even layer of crushed crackers. Pop in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes!
Makes about 6-8 portions