This recipe is super special to me! This is my dad’s special recipe. He created for the restaurant he and my mom opened when I was in elementary school!! He was so so secretive about all of his recipes especially this one! I didn’t do it 100% the same but it was JUST as good!! He and my mom inspired me to start cooking and since my dad passed 6 years ago I haven’t stopped cooking!! He would be very glad to know that I am getting to share all of these family recipes with you guys!! Sharing these recipes and cooking them bring me back to my childhood and I just love that you all are loving them too!! Give this recipe a try. You will love it!!
– 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
– 1 chopped onion, plus extra for garnish
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 16 oz. tomato juice
– 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tbsp chili powder
– 1 tbsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp cumin
– 1/2 tbsp salt
– 1/4 tbsp pepper
– 1 tbsp flour
– 1 cup water
1. Start by browning the meat in a large heavy bottom pot in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until cooked through and nice and brown. Next, toss in chopped onion and spices. Let cook for another 3-5 minutes until onion is slightly cooked through.
2. Pour in can of diced tomatoes, tomato juice and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring often.
3. After about 30 minutes stir in 1 tbsp of flour. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in 1 cup water and bring back up to a simmer. Cook for at least 30 more minutes.
TIP: Taste often, and season as you go! If you need more heat add chili, if you need more smoke add cumin. Salt liberally!!
4. Serve on its own, with fritos, or on literally anything!! Garnish with cheddar cheese and raw onion! ENJOY!!
Serves 4 aka make a double batch 🙂