I LOVE a good Chipotle bowl and I don’t get them often so from now on I’m making this!! I’m not kidding when I say that this chicken was so incredible! It is totally worth it to take the extra step and marinate it!! It makes it juicy and smoky! I will also say, take the extra step of seasoning EACH layer and these bowls come out perfect!
For the chicken:
– 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
– 3 garlic cloves
– 4 chilis in adobo
– 2 tbsp adobo sauce
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp chili powder
For the rice:
– 1 tbsp oil
– 1 cup rice
– 2 cups water
– lime zest
– lime juice
– 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
For the rest:
– 1/2 bag frozen corn, thawed in microwave
– 1 can pinto beans, drained and seasoned with cumin, salt and pepper
– 1 cup guacamole, homemade or store bought
– shredded cheese
– hot sauce
– sour cream
1. Start by marinating the chicken. Combine garlic, chilis, adobo sauce, olive oil and spices in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Rub on chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
2. Make the rice. Start by toasting the rice in oil for 2-3 minutes. Turn heat to high and pour in water. Let come to a boil. Add in zest of a lime. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes. Turn heat off, keep covered for an extra 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add in salt, pepper, cilantro and lime juice.
3. Remove chicken from fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Heat a gas grill to high heat and grill on both sides for about 4 minutes. Until chicken is cooked through.
4. Next, pour beans into a large skillet on med heat. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Allow to heat throughout. Add in a little water if you like a more liquid texture. Cook for 5 minutes. Finally, heat up corn in microwave until hot and get out guac, sour cream and salsa.
5. Assemble bowls. Start with a base of rice, a layer of beans, a layer of chopped chicken, a dollop of guac, sour cream, hot sauce and cheese. ENJOY!
Makes 2-3 bowls