I had left over puff pastry from my chicken pot pie so I decided to get creative and make some these pop tarts. I made two flavors, bacon, egg, and cheese and strawberry! These are so easy to make on Sunday, freeze and heat them up for quick breakfasts in the morning! You will actually be excited to wake up so you can eat one of these!! Also, they are so versatile!! You could do ham and cheese, shredded chicken, egg and sausage, the list goes on and on! I hope you will give them a try!!
– 1 sheet puff pastry (I use store bought)
– 1 egg, whisked
– 1 tbsp water
For the strawberry filling :
– 6-8 strawberries, diced
– 1/8 cup sugar (can sub honey or maple syrup)
– 1/4 cup water
For the icing:
– 1/4 cup powdered sugar
– 1 tbsp milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the bacon, egg and cheese:
– 2 scrambled eggs, cooked
– 2 tbsp chopped bacon
– 2 tbsp shredded cheese
1. Start by cooking the strawberry jam. In a small sauce pan combine strawberries, sugar and water. Turn heat to low boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes until nice and thick.
2. Meanwhile, cook scrambled eggs, and chop bacon. And make icing. In a small bowl mix milk, powdered sugar and vanilla together. Set aside.
3. Roll out dough and cut pastry into triangles. You will need two triangles for each pop tart.
4. Place one triangle on the baking sheet. For the bacon; place a tablespoon of egg in the center of the triangle, topped with a sprinkle of bacon and cheese. For the strawberry; allow filling to cool. Next, place a tablespoon of filling in the center of the triangle. Don’t over stuff! Makes about 4 bacon and egg and 4 strawberry.
5. Place another triangle on top of the filling and crimp with a fork around each edge!
6. Brush egg wash on each pop tart. Bake pastry according to package instructions.
7. Top the strawberry pop tarts with a drizzle of icing. Enjoy right away, or let cool and freeze in individual foil wraps. Heat in microwave for about 30 seconds!
Makes about 8 pop tarts!