My mom used to make this every week and once I left the house I did too! It is for sure one of the best meals for a large crowd but always took a couple of hours for the sauce to cook! Now I never make it from scratch because this jar tomato sauce is my favorite. Obviously, because I use it in everything!!
I will post the homemade sauce recipe soon, but when I want a quick red sauce that doesn’t have to cook forever, I go straight for the Raos. I added sausage to it but of course you can leave it out or use turkey sausage! Want a low carb version? It is so delicious with some spaghetti squash too!! I paired this with my pesto and red pepper flatbread and it is delish! Try it out!! PS. Eat this the next day and it is even better when the sauce marries with the spaghetti. 🙂
Angel Hair with Meat Sauce
- 1/2 lb angel hair pasta I use De Cecco
- 1 jar Rao's tomato basil sauce or Arrabbiata
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 lb breakfast sausage I use Jimmy dean
- Start by adding 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large pan, add in onion and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Then add in sausage and crumble. Cook until completely cooked through.
- Add in tomato sauce and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring pasta water to a boil with 1-2 tbsp of salt and cook pasta according to package ingredients about 2 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooking toss it directly into the sauce and let cook for about 2-4 minutes.
- Top with basil and parmesan cheese!