I grew up on this meal, which yes, I say that to almost every recipe but this one is special! It reminds me of when I used to get into the kitchen with my parents and I could actually help! Honestly, they probably didn’t like getting their hands dirty, but I’ll take it! This is one of those dishes that my dad used to get at EVERY southern restaurant, so it definitely reminds me of him! I love this so so much it really reminds me of home and is a perfect meal for when you just want some delicious comfort food! I cut them into strips to make them easier to cook, but you could totally shallow fry the whole patty and it would be just as good! I will probably try that next time! All of my friends want me to make this next time they come over, it’s THAT good! Also, you have to spend the extra time making the homemade gravy because wow, it does something to the whole dish that I just can’t explain. OK, enough about that, heres how I made it!!
– 1 package of cube steak
– 1/2 gallon of oil (I used vegetable oil)
– 1 sleeve of saltine crackers (crushed finely)
– 2 cups of flour
– 2 eggs (whisked)
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 tbsp garlic powder
– 1/2 tbsp seasoning salt
– 1/2 tbsp cavenders
– 1/2 tbsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp cayenne
– 1/2 tbsp salt
– 1/4 tbsp pepper
1. Fill a large dutch oven with oil about halfway up the sides and heat oil to 325. Use a candy thermometer to test the oil. If you don’t have a thermometer, turn heat on about med for about 15 minutes. (test some batter to make sure it doesn’t burn right away).
2. If making steak fingers, cut cube steak into strips and salt and pepper both sides.
3. Next, set up dredging station. First, place flour and 1/2 of seasoning blend in 1 bowl. In a second bowl whisk two eggs with milk, and in the third bowl mix saltine crackers with remaining seasoning blend.
4. Once oil is ready, start coating the steak. Start by dipping in flour, then egg, and finally the crackers.
5. Place about 4 strips or 1 steak into oil for about 5-7 minutes.
6. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt as soon as you take them out of the oil.
7. Serve with green beans, mashed potatoes and peppered gravy (recipe below)!
For the gravy:
Place about 3 tbsps of cooking oil along with any batter drippings in a skillet. Turn heat on medium and whisk in 3 tbsp of flour. Let flour and oil cook for about 2 minutes. Turn heat to low and slowly incorporate 2 cups of milk, stirring constantly. Once incorporated, season with salt and a lot of pepper! TOP ON EVERYTHING!