I love mac and cheese but I have had a hard time finding the perfect recipe without the processed Velveeta cheese! Don’t get me wrong, I do love that in queso and mac and cheese, but I don’t like to eat it all the time. So, I have tested many recipes and they are either dry or gritty, which … ew! But, this one is SO good! I use the “carbonara” method, as I call it, using eggs in the sauce and it turns out perfectly creamy and cheesy every time! It’s so easy and you don’t have to make a roux! Try this for your kids, my boy loves it! I have added spinach, chicken, and of course broccoli! Here’s what I did.
– 1/2 lb of elbow macaroni
– 1 egg
– 6 oz evaporated milk
– 1 tsp mustard powder
– Hot sauce (I use Cholula)
– 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 cup steamed Broccoli
– 1/2 tbsp salt
– 1/2 tsp pepper
– Broil pasta according to package instructions and drain.
– Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together egg, milk, mustard powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper
– Next, add hot pasta into egg mixture (stirring constantly)
– Add pasta back into pot and turn heat on med-low. Add in shredded cheese, and broccoli. Allow cheese to melt for about 3-5 minutes.
– Top with breadcrumbs and broil for 5 minutes!
– 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
– 2 tbsp melted butter
– 1 tbsp parsley
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1 tsp garlic powder
1. Melt butter and mix in all ingredients