Light and Fluffy Corn Cakes
These corn cakes are basically a mix between cornbread, hushpuppies and pancakes … and they are DELICIOUS! These were perfect to serve with some spicy shrimp and chipolte butter!! I will make these for my next party! You could totally make them the day before, let them cool, and heat in the oven the day of the party! Top with one shrimp and you have a perfect hors d’oeuvre. Give these a try. Let’s just say I’m obsessed!
– 3/4 cup flour
– 1/2 cup of cornmeal
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp sugar
– 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
– 2 tbsp melted butter
– 1 egg, beaten
– 1 cup fresh corn kernels
– 2 green onions, optional
1. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, eggs and butter.
2. Gradually add dry mixture into wet, whisking until fully incorporated.
3. Puree 1/2 of the corn and fold it into the batter along with the whole kernels and green onions.
*Add a little buttermilk if batter is too thick
4. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat with a tablespoon of butter. Pour batter making about 3 inch cakes.
5. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve with shrimp and chipotle butter!
** Chipotle butter: Mix 3 tbsp softened butter with 2 pureed chipotle chilis in adobo
Makes about 18 3-inch corn cakes