This was a recipe that my mom used to make probably once a week when I was growing up! We used to call in Potatoes, Onions and Cheese. This is another one that works perfectly with a steak dinner! You just put it in the oven and forget about it! Honestly, I like potatoes in any form but this one tops the list for me!!
– 4 russet potatoes
– 1 yellow onion
– 1 package of American cheese (can use fresh shredded cheddar)
– Whole milk, about 1 cup
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. First, peel potatoes and cut into disks and set aside.
3. Then, cut onion into rings or 1/2 moons and set aside.
4. Next, get out milk, flour, butter and cheese.
5. Now, start layering.
6. Begin with a layer of potatoes, salt and pepper.
7. Next, add onions and cheese, then a few tabs of butter and a sprinkle of flour.
8. Repeat this about 3 more times until all the potatoes and onions are used, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
9. Add in about 2 inches of milk (I use my finger to see how much is in there) usually about a cup.
10. Cover with foil and a lid and set on a baking sheet. Place in oven for about 1 hour. Remove foil add 1 more layer of cheese and turn heat to 375 and cook for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is nice and brown!
Serves about 6 people