I just started making these about 6 months ago, after I stumbled upon this recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and now we are OBSESSED!! It takes a little bit of prep time but once you get it in the oven all you have to do is wait for it to braise away and turn in to the most spectacular, tender beef you’ve ever eaten! Trust me it is a MUST TRY!
Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4-6 bone-in short ribs
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a large pot, with heat on med-low, cook bacon. Once bacon is crispy remove bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Turn burner up to high heat. Meanwhile, salt and pepper the beef on all sides, roll in flour to coat all sides. Place meat in the pan with the bacon drippings and sear all side for about 2 minutes or until nice and brown. Remove meat and set aside.
- Turn heat down to med and saute chopped onions and carrots for about 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add in 1 cup of wine to "deglaze" the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add beef back into pot with onions, carrots and wine. Pour in 2 cups of beef broth should cover about 90% of the beef.
- Crumble bacon and add into pot, along with rosemary, thyme and a little salt and pepper.
- Place lid on top and put in oven for 2 hours. After two hours turn the heat up to 350 and let cook for another 30-45 minutes. Let sit for about 30 minutes. Fat will rise to the top. Skim fat with a spoon and discard.
- Serve on a bed of cheddar polenta or mashed potatoes!
You can find my polenta recipe here
Please leave a comment below!