If you know me by now you know I am not much of a veggie eater. I definitely am not much of a spinach eater but THIS completely changed that for me. YES, it has a lot of fat and a lot of cheese but hey, its still got spinach so I consider it a veggie!! My dad created this recipe and I am so glad he passed it along to me because I couldn’t live without it! This is BETTER than your steakhouse spinach – I guarantee you make this for your significant other or for your friends and they will be BEGGING you for the recipe! I kept it secret for a long time, and secret is, its really not difficult at all! Heres how I make it!
– 2 packages of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
– 1 white onion (finely diced)
– 2 tbsp bacon grease
– 1 cup heavy whipping cream
– 1/2 cup grated parmesan and 1 cup for topping
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp cavenders
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I buy whole nutmeg and grate it myself)
– 1/2 tsp cayenne
– Preheat oven to 375.
– Thaw spinach in the microwave for about 10 minutes, once cooled, place in a clean dishtowel and ring out any extra liquid, set aside.
– Heat 2 tbsp bacon grease in a skillet on med heat.
– Add in chopped onion and a dash of salt. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
– Add in spices and toast for a couple of minutes.
– Next, turn heat to low and add in a handful of spinach, a 1/4 of cream and a handful of parmesan cheese, stirring constantly.
– Repeat this step until the spinach is gone. Mixture should be pretty thick!
– Let cook on low for about 5 minutes. TASTE!
– Top with remaining parmesan cheese and place in oven for 20 minutes.
– Turn oven to broil and cook for 2 minutes letting the cheese get nice and brown!
Serves 4-6 people